Saturday, January 22, 2011

I love you "man"

I wanted to write about this for several days now. I went out last week with a high school friend of mine who is a guy. When we say our goodbyes, I gave him a big hug and said: "Ya know' I love you" He replied the same thing back at me. The process stocked to me for 2 reasons. First, I never told this to him before, and I don't want to be misleading because, second, I say I love you to really good friends. I say: "I love you" to my better half as well, but with a different tone, in different ways and I'll just leave it at that.

I have to say with all the flaws my mother has, one thing I do appreciate is: I was raised into showing my affection (or hate), whatever the level, physically and verbally to my close-ones. Over the years, it became like that as well towards my friends. Verbalizing with "I love you" and getting physical with pecks on the cheeks, or mouth, and really big hugs. I "so" like hugs.

I have girlfriends that I say often the tree-letter sentence, almost everything time we speak or chat. To guys, I don't say it that much: my brother, my dad, boyfriend and one of my ex (occasionally). Maybe that's why it stands out for me because there ain't that many men to who I say it in a casual fashion. Apart from being misleading, the thought of appropriateness comes to mind as well and some other questions. Do I misuse the words? Do I take them too lightly? Is it cultural for me, as in English: you like or you love. In French: "t'aime...", you love everything. Well even though, it is the verb "love" I understand it means "like" also. Does my head just automatically "aime" everything?

Well it's done - I'm not taking back my words. It is how I fell. I love my friends and I'll express it to my very good friends whenever. So here's a thought to myself: "DEAL WITH IT!"

2 comments:

  1. Aw, I love you man! I mean woman. I mean, sister. Well, you know what I mean. Unlike you, I wasn't raised to express emotions so it's always all awkward for me.

    ReplyDelete