Sunday, January 2, 2011

Screw you New Year's resolution!

I'm always amaze on how a lot of people rely on a New Year for things to change in their lives: the fact that 2011 is going to be so different from 2010. I only see a number change. Maybe it's that sense of renewal, of new beginnings... a kind of reboot: "this year will be better than the last". Personally, you are starting the "new" year with your shit setted up the same way as just a few days ago. So if 2010 finishes bad, 2011 starts bad and vice-versa. All this to say that New year resolutions suck!

Definition of a new year's resolution according to Wikipedia: A New Year resolution is a commitment that an individual makes to a personal goal, project, or the reforming of a habit. This lifestyle change is generally interpreted as advantageous. A New Years Resolution is generally a goal someone sets out to accomplish in the coming year. Some examples include resolutions to donate to the poor more often, to become more assertive, or to become more environmentally responsible.

Definition of a new year's resolution according to the Urban dictionary: An assessment of, and often delusional attempt to correct, one's shortcomings. Typically made on a day that is arbitrary except that it begins a new year on the standard Gregorian Calendar. Given the arbitrary nature of the date and the sudden change of lifestyle demanded by most resolutions, it should not be surprising that most resolutions are abandoned by the start of the next year. Fortunately the next New Year gives a person the opportunity to make the same resolution again.

These aren't the best sources but it gives an overview of a new year's resolution definition. Resolutions should be made year long and not just in the Holidays. Plus, resolutions need to be realistic. I've heard so many resolutions from people this past Holidays that I wanted to point them out and say "Bullshit!" I'll respect resolutions brought from "assessments". Assessing what's going on with you, around you and planning goals for the time ahead.

I haven't made any resolutions for this year. I'm throwing them out the window. I didn't made any during Holidays 2009. I made some throughout 2010 and succeeded in quite a few. I'm actually entering 2011 with the same goals that I had in Sept and Oct. I'll probably end up having somewhat of a resolution or a couple by spring. My resolutions are always nearly made at the end of the winter period - beginning spring. I can't be the only one?

1 comment:

  1. Since you asked ; ) My corrections are in caps. Most of them are stylistic but there are a couple of small grammatical issues. My own response is below the suggestions.
    ***
    "I'm always amazeD ABOUT" and delete "on" "how a lot of people rely on a New Year TO CHANGE things in their lives, AS THOUGH 2011 is going to be so different from 2010."

    "Personally, I THINK THAT you are starting the "new" year with your shit SET up the same way as IT WAS just a few days ago."

    These aren't the best sources but THE ENTRIES ABOVE GIVE an overview of THE DEFINITION OF A new year's resolution. Resolutions should be made year ROUND and not just ON the Holidays. Plus, resolutions need to be realistic. I've heard so many resolutions from people this past HOLIDAY SEASON that I wanted to point them out and say "Bullshit!" I'll respect resolutions brought from "assessments": Assessing what's going on with you, around you and planning goals for the time ahead.

    I haven't made any resolutions for this year. I'm throwing them out the window. I didn't MAKE any during THE 2009 Holidays EITHER. I made some throughout 2010 and succeeded AT quite a few. I'm actually entering 2011 with the same goals that I had in Sept and Oct. I'll probably end up having somewhat of a resolution or a couple by spring. My resolutions are always nearly made at the end of the winter period - beginning spring. I can't be the only one?

    ******

    I did this year but they are resolutions I have been making throughout the fall anyway. I agree about the year round thing based on assessments and also about feeling free to do things for ourselves.

    ReplyDelete