Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Teachers - tsk, tsk, tsk!

I am not one to criticize much about teachers, I wanted a catchy title. A few of my friends and family members are teachers from elementary all the way to university. I know them on a personal level but I wonder how they are as teachers.

We all have multiple façades: one for friends, one for family, one for work and so on. It's not about being a different person or personas, it's just being aware of your surroundings and adapting: i.e. You love to wear slacks but you'll be in a suit for a job interview. Which is why I try not to judge on first appearances with people from my workplace or university, I may perceive them negatively at the beginning but I try to see something good. Well there's my PSY200 teacher at Concordia to who I am trying very hard to do that. Last night, I drew a line in my head and I'm not trying anymore. The guy, as a teacher, is... I can't describe it. There's more than one person that teaches Psy200 so he can still remain somewhat anonymous. He's slow mannered in class, it is very hard to have a straight answer out of him, and e-mails from him always have a bunch of grammar mistakes and typos. He's slow mannered in assignment handouts too. He gives reading assignments, equivalent to a hundred pages, an hour and a half before the concerned class.

It drives me crazy and a quick survey among other students proves that I'm not the only one. It's a 6 credit class which means that I had it in the Fall semester and now again for Winter. The classes are structured that from 6 to 7:30 pm its theoretical and after that, coop activities. I tried to be a good sport with myself but I just can't bare it anymore. From now on, I'll arrive early stay the first part and just leave afterwards!!! The class has 96 registered students but we're never more that 30, physically in class. When evaluations happen, the whole student body in there. I've had teachers that are total "dicks" and there easy to deal with = indifference; but since this one isn't clear about things, we need to interact occasionally with him... in person... because by e-mail it won't be clear!!

I consider teachers to be "special". You need to be, it is demanding! But like any other field, not everyone is good at what they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment